Friday, May 1, 2015

Austin Diemer May Surface In Cedar Rapids

Image Courtesy: Fullerton Titans
The Minnesota Twins have one of the deepest farm systems in all of baseball. With top overall prospect Byron Buxton leading the way, there is both quality and quantity throughout the rungs of the Twins organization. With the promotion of Zachary Granite from Cedar Rapids, the Kernels are looking to replace a hole in their outfield, and it could come in the form of a 2014 draft pick.

Minnesota selected Austin Diemer in the 28th round of the 2014 Major League Baseball draft out of Cal State Fullerton. The California native may have to brush up on his farming techniques and sit down to watch Field Of Dreams, as he could potentially be headed to Iowa. I had the opportunity to interview him prior to the season.

Here's what he had to say:



Off The Baggy: After being drafted out of one of the premier college programs at Cal-State Fullerton, how do you feel that prepared you to play in the Appalachian League with Elizabethton last season?
Austin Diemer: I was very blessed to play at Cal State Fullerton. It brings together the best of the best, year after year. There was competition everyday which forced me to always push myself and play against the top competitors. After finishing my collegiate season in regionals I felt like I was ready to compete right away in the Appalachian League. The biggest thing was adjusting to playing every day instead of a three game weekend series.

OTB: Having now experienced a full season of professional baseball, what would you say is the biggest difference between the competition level opposed to what you were used to in college?
AD: At Fullerton I was lucky to always play a tough schedule and to battle against the top pitchers in the country in inter squads which helped me transition to pro ball. However in pro ball you are seeing every teams Friday night guy every at bat. I love being able to compete with the best players in the world.  

OTB: Playing with the E-Twins, first round draft pick Nick Gordon was on your team at short. Looking at his game and considering his youth, what would you say is the most impressive traits he brings to the table?
AD: I was very impressed with Nick's maturity with baseball. The majority of us in E Town had 3 to 4 years of college experience and yet Nick was fresh out of high school. He also wanted more and made sure to get it. 

OTB: Now having completed your first professional spring training, what are your impressions of Fort Myers and how everything took place?
AD: I had a blast out here. I got to Fort Myers a little early and that allowed me to get settled in and ready for Spring Training to start. I'm excited to keep working and for the rest of the 2015 season. 

OTB: Who in the upper echelon of the organization have you tried to take things from while working on your own abilities? Is there a veteran that has helped you out at all?

AD: When I first arrived in Fort Myers before Spring Training two of the first guys I had met were Chad Christensen and Jason Kanzler. I watched to see how they went about their work and added on anything else from them I needed to my daily baseball routine. 

OTB: Looking forward to 2015, what area of your game are you working on the most, and what do you think you have to do to accomplish those goals?
AD: I felt I got a lot of work done in the off season with speed and power at Elite Athletics in my hometown of Rocklin, Ca. For the 2015 season I need to trust the work I put in and just enjoy the game. I'm lucky to be out here and soaking in every second of it. 

Here's to hoping we see the call up take shape soon, and wish Austin nothing but the best as he continues to climb through the Twins system.