Friday, June 5, 2020

Thank You and Now for Action

Whether you've been a reader here, at Twins Daily, or through Twitter, this message is a thank you of sorts. I was reading a blog post by a client tonight and it was in reflection of the George Floyd killing. What I realized in reading it is that with a platform or audience comes a responsibility. One phrase in that post prompted me to reflect on how I can best handle said responsibility.

In reflecting on the events that both led to and have come from the death of George Floyd, this post read, "It is not important that you/I am not a racist; what is essential is that I/we become anti-racist." That hit me, hard.

Here's the thing, society has spent the days since that tragic moment putting out statements and unifying behind black squares on social media. It's great to have a common purpose, and it shouldn't be lost on anyone that saying "black lives matter" or "I'm not a racist" has no place being controversial. Those phrases however are hollow in and of themselves.

Reading his words, "what is essential is that I/we become anti-racist" is a call to action. It isn't about what we can say, what conversations we avoid, or how we connect with the world around us. No, those words should push forth the idea that there is opportunity. Black individuals and communities still deal with the same oppression they always have because our actions have often lagged behind our words.

This isn't a situation of systemic negativity that gets fixed simply by talking. By speaking on the topic we're simply putting the key into the ignition. It's by what we do, and how we act, that will eventually push towards a change.

The senseless killing of George Floyd should cause each one of us to think about how our lives may be different than that of our neighbor. What are the true feelings on our hearts? And then when that reflection has taken place, how can we act upon an opportunity to create change. There's never been a more impactful and widespread time for the world to commit to change. We're more connected and plugged in than ever before, but it takes action to get the ball rolling.

I don't know what my action plan is throughout the year, but I absolutely will have one. In this space it will make sense to tie it back to baseball, but I want to be anti-racist and a part of the solution rather than just watching from the sidelines.

Thank you for providing an opportunity, thank you for supporting my hobby, and here's to hoping we'll have baseball again soon to bring us together on a similar playing field.