Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Thankful for Baseball’s Distraction

 



There’s no denying that 2020 has been arguably the most difficult year I’ve ever lived through. Dealing with a global pandemic while hobbies are shelved, and uncertainty runs rampant is quite the mental ringer. Add in the unexpected loss of a parent and the Minnesota Twins have seemed like nothing short of a bright spot through the clouds.

 

I remember back in March; I was sitting at Pott’s Sports Café on the 12th as Major League Baseball put a halt to Spring Training. The night before Rudy Gobert and the Utah Jazz threw the NBA into a pause, and not long after college basketball would follow suit. For months Major League owners and the MLBPA engaged in an ugly, extremely public, dispute between finances and resumption. How would the sport go on, and more importantly could it?

 

Fast forward to where we are now. Another lockdown is being instituted across the country. Thanksgiving isn’t the same, and the family prognosis for Christmas doesn’t look great either. For four months this year though, we had baseball. It didn’t always go smoothly, and leadership was lacking at times, but there was a season and there was a World Series Champion. For that, I am thankful.

 

The Minnesota Twins played one of their best season’s in franchise history during 2019. They set power records and looked like a team to mess with come October. While that didn’t come to fruition, so much promise remained for 2020. Despite having that all taken away, even a small sliver of normalcy was experienced during a 60-game sprint. Minnesota wasn’t as dominant as expected, but a second straight division title is nothing to scoff at. The Postseason woes continued, but opportunity was there once again.

 

During this week that’s normally spent eating good food with better company, the most important reminder is that it’s a time of thanks. I’m thankful for my health in a time when so many others are less fortunate. I’m thankful for the amount of time this change in situation has allowed me to spend at home, enjoying my family, seeing my kids grow on a daily basis. I’m thankful that there’s been an opportunity to slow life down and reflect. And yes, as silly as it may seem, I’m thankful that we had baseball.

 

As the calendar eventually turns to 2021, I can change that word of thanks into hope. I look forward to a renewed sense of normalcy. I am hopeful that there’s an ability to make the yearly voyage down to Fort Myers for Twins Spring Training. I am hopeful that we get 162 games to dissect what should again be a very good baseball team in Minnesota. As so many things hang in the balance, I’m thankful for the opportunities provided to this point, and hopeful for what’s ahead.

 

Baseball doesn’t define our lives, but it’s an extremely substantial part of mine. It was a light in what has otherwise been a very dark year, and I’m thankful for that. Being able to enjoy the sunshine once again in person, hoping on better times ahead, it’s yet again a child’s game that provided an opportunity for warmth.